Injury rears its ugly head within the UFC’s ranks yet again.
Roger Hollet, who was tabbed to face Wagner “Caldeirão” Prado on Jan. 19 at UFC on FX 7, has suffered a training mishap and will no longer be able to make the date. In his place against Caldeirão goes Brazil’s Ildemar “Marajó” Alcantara, according to reports.
Marajó, the older brother of UFC fighter Yuri Alcantara, holds a 17-1 record and has fought under the Jungle Fight banner on ten occasions. While in the Brazilian promotion, Alcantara suffered only one setback and is the current holder of the promotional middleweight grand prix title.
With Hollet’s injury, Marajó was brought in to fight Prado with a little over a week to go until the event. Alcantara will be moving up to light heavyweight for the UFC on FX 7 show.
Prado (8-1) made his UFC debut facing Phil Davis at UFC on Fox 4. The fight ended in a no-contest after Davis unintentionally poked him in the eye. The Brazilian then went on to face Davis in a rematch at UFC 153, losing to his American opponent by arm-triangle choke.
UFC on FX 7
Ginásio do Ibirapuera, São Paulo, Brazil
January 19, 2013
- Vitor Belfort vs. Michael Bisping
- Daniel Sarafian vs. CB Dollaway
- Gabriel Napão vs. Ben Rothwell
- Thiago Tavares vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Godofredo Pepey vs. Miltinho Vieira
- Ronny Markes vs. Andrew Craig
- Diego Nunes vs. Nik Lentz
- Edson Barboza vs. Lucas Mineiro
- Iuri Marajó vs. Pedro Nobre
- Wagner Caldeirão vs. Ildemar Marajó
For more UFC and MMA coverage,
visit GRACIEMAG.com’s Choke MMA section