The winter time brings low temperature and along with it a higher risk of us getting a cold and/or flu. This way a few measures should be taken in order to fortify our immune system and avoid missing Jiu-Jitsu classes in this period.
According to the Havard Medical School, “Your first line of defense is to choose a healthy lifestyle. Following general good-health guidelines is the single best step you can take toward keeping your immune system strong and healthy.” Thus, the best way to boost your body’s defense is adopting healthy-living strategies like:
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Control your blood pressure.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
- Get regular medical screening tests for people in your age group and risk category.
Knowing that diet is a main factor to one’s health, researches indicate that some vitamins and minerals play an important role in armoring your body such as: Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E and Zinc.
Also, some supplements have drawn attention from researchers that might help strengthen our defenses but they need further studies to prove its efficiency such as: Aloe Vera (topical), Astragalus, Echinacea, Garlic, Ginseng, and Probiotics.
For more information on how to get the proper daily amount of vitamins and minerals, and how to use supplements and dosage, talk to your doctor or a specialist.