After some initial reluctancy, Jose Aldo has accepted the challenge of lightweight Anthony Pettis, and the two will fight for the featherweight title, according to UFC President Dana White.
In addition, should Aldo win the match-up with Pettis scheduled for Aug. 3, the current 145-pound champ will move up a weight class to fight for the lightweight title, according to a report by MMAjunkie.com.
“Aldo vs. Pettis is on!” White said in a post on Twitter, following that up with, “Yes, Aldo vs. Pettis and it’s for Aldo’s UFC 145-(pound) title.”
White originally told reporters following UFC 157 that Aldo refused to fight Pettis because the featherweight champ and his manager, Andre Pederneiras, thought the lightweight challenger didn’t deserve a shot at the belt. But once news got out with White’s comments, Aldo and camp changed their tune, telling SportTV.com that “heads will roll” once he faces Pettis.
Pettis was waiting to face the the winner of the lightweight title fight between champ Benson Henderson and No. 1 contender Gilbert Melendez that takes place at UFC on Fox 7 in April. However, once he saw Aldo beat Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 last month, Pettis swiftly texted White, asking for a shot at the featherweight king.
The venue for the Aldo-Pettis title fight is yet to be announced.