The number of fighters dropping from lightweight to featherweight rises once again.
Anthony Pettis is dropping down a weight class to challenge featherweight champion Jose Aldo for his belt. USA Today reported late Monday that the fight has been scheduled for Aug. 3 at a yet-to-be-named location.
“Two of the baddest dudes in the fight business are going to fight at 145 pounds,” said UFC president Dana White. These guys are two of the most amazing, gravity-defying athletes in the sport. I am so pumped for this fight.”
Pettis showed interest in facing Aldo right after the Brazilian defended his belt against Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 this past Feb. 2.
“Aldo is a tremendous fighter,” White said Pettis told him through text message. “I just want to be one of the best in the world, and the only way to do that is to beat the best.”
Anthony Pettis (16-2) starred in the WEC’s farwell fight of the card when he landed a gravity-defying “showtime kick” off the cage and knocked down current UFC lightweight champion Ben Henderson. Pettis is riding a three-fight win streak in the UFC, the last of which was a first-round kick-to-the-rib knockout on Donald Cerrone.
Aldo (22-1) hasn’t tasted defeat since 2005, when he lost by rear-naked choke to Luciano Azevedo at Jungle Fight 5. Since then he has rattled off 15 wins, successfully defending his UFC featherweight belt on four times in that span.
The Aldo-Pettis clash is so far without a location, nor does the event have a name. Rio de Janeiro has been mentioned as a possible host city, as have Chicago and Las Vegas.
For more UFC and MMA coverage,
visit GRACIEMAG.com’s Choke MMA section