Despite Johny Hendricks working his way up to what many believe is No. 1 welterweight contender status, White said that the GSP-Diaz bout is likely the 170-pound title fight the company will make next.
Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie, spoke with GRACIEMAG.com‘s Erin Herle and said that fans’ desire to see this fight outweighs the judges’ decision from Diaz’s bout with Carlos Condit last February.
“I’m very happy that Nick is finally going to be able to fight GSP,” Gracie told GRACIEMAG.com on Thursday afternoon. “It shows the fans have more power than the corrupt judges.”
Diaz and Condit fought to a close split decision, with “The Natural Born Killer” getting the nod at UFC 143. The loss prompted Diaz to say he’s walking away from the sport, but recent reports show that he’s changed his mind.
St-Pierre is fresh off a unanimous decision win over Condit at UFC 154 last month. Following the fight, GSP was questioned about a potential super-fight with middleweight champion Anderson Silva, but the 170-pound champ downplayed the fight from taking place any time soon. Additional reports claimed GSP would take the fight for $50 million, but he later denied that on a recent radio interview.
As for Hendricks, White added that the fighter doesn’t want to wait around, and he will have another fight while the GSP-Diaz bout is worked out.
No timetable was given St-Pierre and Diaz to meet.
For more UFC and MMA coverage,
visit GRACIEMAG.com’s Choke MMA section