The bout will be featured on the event’s main card.
Invicta FC President Shannon Knapp expressed her excitement about the fight, which pits a heavy-handed striker in Smith against a submission specialist in Pennington.
“Leslie and Raquel have both proven to be ferocious and determined competitors in the Invicta FC cage, so we are excited to be able to match them up against each other and create what should be a barnburner of a fight,” Knapp said in the release.
Smith (4-2-1), a product of the Cesar Gracie Academy, last saw action at Invicta FC 3 in October, where she scored a technical knockout over Kaitlin Young in the second round of their match-up. The bout was a rematch from the company’s inaugural event in April that ended in a draw. Three of Smith’s four wins have come by way of TKO.
Pennington (3-2-1) is looking to get back on the winning side of things after falling to Cat Zigano by rear-naked choke at Invicta FC 3. Prior to the loss, however, she was the winner of two consecutive fights, one of which was a first-round finish of Raquel Pa’aluhi by guillotine choke. Pennington has been very active in competition, fighting five times since turning pro nine months ago.
Invicta FC 4 is headlined by the company’s first-ever world strawweight title fight between Claudia Gadelha (9-0) of Brazil and Carla Esparza (8-2) of Southern California.
Here is the full lineup for the card:
- Claudia Gadelha (9-0) vs. Carla Esparza (8-2)
- Amanda Nunes (7-2) vs. Sarah D’Alelio (6-3)
- Hiroko Yamanaka (12-2) vs. Ediane Gomes (8-2)
- Leslie Smith (4-2-1) vs. Raquel Pennington (3-2-1)
- Shayna Baszler (15-7) vs. Alexis Davis (12-5)
- Joanne Calderwood (4-0) vs. Bec Hyatt (4-1)
- Veronica Rothenhausler (0-0) vs. Katalina Malungahu (2-1)
- Stephanie Frausto (4-4) vs. Cassie Rodish (3-3)
- Tamikka Brents (1-0) vs. Amanda Bell (0-0)
- Jodie Esquibel (2-0) vs. Liz McCarthy (1-0)
- Emily Kagan (2-0) vs. Rose Namajunas (0-0)
- Paige Van Zant (2-0) vs. Tecia Torres (1-0)
For more UFC and MMA coverage,
visit GRACIEMAG.com’s Choke MMA section.