The greatest Jiu-Jitsu World Championship medal collector, Roger Gracie (5-1), is confirmed for the final Strikeforce event, which takes place Jan. 12 in Oklahoma City, Okla., USA. The Carlos Gracie Jr. black belt will take on American Anthony Smith (17-7) in a middleweight match-up.
Gracie will fly to Rio de Janeiro from his home of England next week for some training that will make jiu-jitsu lovers’ mouths water.
“Joinha spoke to Rodrigo Minotauro, and we felt it would be a good idea if I went to train there, at Team Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro,” said the tapout artist. “I was going to Brazil for the Holidays anyways, so it wasn’t too big a change of plans.”
Former Strikeforce champion middleweight champion Ronaldo “Jacaré” Souza is also on the Jan. 12 card. The two-time absolute world champion of jiu-jitsu enters in the place of injured middleweight champion Luke Rockhold. Souza will take on Lorenz Larkin, who is undefeated in his 13-fight career.
Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine
Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma
January 12, 2013
- Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine
- Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring
- Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Smith
- Ronaldo Jacaré vs. Lorenz Larkin
- Gegard Mousasi vs. Mike Kyle
- Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino
- Roger Gracie vs. Anthony Smith
- Ryan Couture vs. KJ Noons
- Pat Healy vs. Jorge Masvidal