Yesterday at the pre-UFC 117 press-conference in Oakland, California, everyone in attendance was at the edge of their seat to find out more about the fight between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen. Even with less attention on his fight, Junior Cigano said he’s not worried about it, he’s focused on his bout with Roy Nelson to decide who will be the next challenger for the UFC heavyweight belt, as previously reported on GRACIEMAG.com. “It was super-motivating when Dana White announced the winner of this fight would go on to challenge for the title. I’m really focused and well prepared for this fight,” said Cigano.
Cigano has beaten Fabricio Werdum, Mirko Cro Cop, Stefan Struve, Gilbert Yvel and Gabriel Napão in the past, all of them dropped with strikes. Now Nelson won the 10th season of the “Ultimate Fighter” reality show with knockouts over Brendan Schaub and then Stefan Struve. Also noteworthy is the fact the chubby fighter was the champion of the now-defunct IFL promotion.
Cigano is keen to that.
“My next fight is always the most important one in my life, and now is no different,” he said. “I can guarantee that on Saturday night I’ll be well prepared to give it my best,” he says, further guaranteeing that he’s prepared to go to the ground with Nelson, a Jiu-Jitsu black belt.
“He’s good on the ground, but I can surprise him with my submissions, too. I’m going to show you all what I can do on the ground.”
Could that happen? This reporter wagers it is nothing more than banter. Both Nelson and Cigano will be going for the knockout.
We just have to wait and see!
(Collaborator: Junior Samurai)