Two big events shake up the United States this Saturday and will feature some big Jiu-Jitsu names. Strikeforce and the WEC will see Ronaldo Jacaré, a two-time absolute world champion and ADCC supermatch champion, and Rani Yahya, a former ADCC champion, respectively, in action.
Ronaldo Jacaré will be making his Strikeforce debut at the California event against Olympic wrestling medalist Matt Lindland. The two have faced off before, but under submission grappling rules, with Jacaré coming out on top at the ADCC. The opening fight will see Roberto Gordo black belt Alex Cripsin face A.J. Fonseca. In the evening’s main event, Josh Thompson and Gilbert Melendez dispute the organization’s lightweight title.
Now in the WEC, to take place in Las Vegas, Rani Yahya, who is riding a four-fight winning streak, will face Joseph Benavidez in a bantamweight bout.
“Joseph is a quick fighter, but I think I can put him in some bad positions to win the fight,” said Rani.
In the WEC main event, a Donald Cerrone versus Ed Ratcliff showdown will determine who will be the next challenger for the organization’s lightweight belt, now held by Jamie Varner.
Check out the cards and stay tuned to GRACIEMAG.com for results:
Strikeforce – Evolution
São Jose, California
December 19, 2009
– Josh Thompson vs Gilbert Melendez
– Cung Le vs Scott Smith
– Matt Lindland vs Ronaldo “Jacaré” Souza
– Muhammed Lawal vs Mike Whitehead
– Antwain Britt vs Scott Lighty
– Daisuke Nakamura vs Bryan Travers
– Juan Nunez vs Luis Mendoza
– Bobby Stack vs Alex Trevino
– Alex Crispim vs A.J. Fonseca
WEC – Cerrone vs Ratcliff
The Pearl, Las Vegas, Nevada
December 19, 2009
– Donald Cerrone vs Ed Ratcliff
– Anthony Njokuani vs Chris Horodecki
-Joseph Benavidez vs Rani Yahya
– Takeya Mizugaki vs Scott Jorgensen
– Bart Palaszewski vs Anthony Pettis
– Muhsin Corbbrey vs Zack Micklewright
– John Hosman vs Chad George
– Courtney Buck vs Brandon Visher
– Brad Pickett vs Kyle Dietz
– Jameel Massouh vs Erik Koch