One day may be enough to change a UFC considerably. Having confirmed an injury to the eye of Costa Philipou, and the withdrawal of the same event occurring in Jaragua do Sul on May 18, the question was: Who will step up to face Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza just two weeks from the event?
The solution came from within the event itself. Chris Camozzi, who was to face Rafael Natal, will instead challenge the UFC-debuting Brazilian. GRACIEMAG.com confirmed with Camozzi coach Diego Moraes, and he analyzed the current scenario of his pupil.
“Rafael Natal is a great athlete, hard on the ground, but the Jacare is a monster in Jiu-Jitsu, one of the best of all time,” Moraes said. “I unfortunately could not stay long with Camozzi, but I’ll be there with him. And strategy is the same: Work hard on the feet, but if the fight goes to the ground, I’m sure Chris will be ready.”
Jacare (17-3, 1 N.C.) has 10 finishes in 17 victories. He arrives in the UFC after the end of Strikeforce, where in his last appearance he finished Ed Herman in the first round.
Camozzi (19-5) has four straight wins in the UFC, including ones over Luis Banha, Nick Catone, and in his last fight, beating Nick Ring at UFC 158. He is a purple belt in Jiu-Jitsu.
In Camozzi’s place, Natal will now face João Zeferino.
UFC on FX 8
Jaragua Arena, Jaragua do Sul, SC
May 18, 2013
- Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Ronaldo Jacare vs. Chris Camozzi
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Evan Dunham
- Rafael “Sapo” Natal vs. João Zeferino
- Nik Lentz vs. Hacran Days
- Francisco Massaranduba vs. Mike Rio
- Paulo Thiago vs. Michel Tractor
- John Lineker vs. Azamat Gashimov
- Fabio Maldonado vs. Roger Hollett
- Gleison Tibau vs. John Cholish
- Yuri Marajó Iliarde vs dos Santos
- Jussier Ant vs. Chris Cariaso
- Luke Miner vs. Jeremy Larsen