The fourth installment of the kickboxing event Glory gathered the cream of the world heavyweight crop for a first-rate event, closing out 2012 with a devastating display from Semmy Schilt.
The 7-foot Dutchman had to win four fights in one night to get his hands on the belt on Dec. 31.
Schilt wrapped up the tournament by knocking out Daniel Ghita with a high kick in the first round.
A special rule, called “best of three,” was applied for the heavyweight tournament, whereby if a fighter is superior to his adversary in the first two rounds, there will be no need to return for a third. The condition is meant to help the athletes show up in one piece for the subsequent bouts on the night.
There was a total of 16 fighters in the heavyweight GP and another three fights in assorted weight classes on the preliminary card.
Check out a photo gallery with the highlights from Glory 4.
[flickr set = 72157632456113688]
December 31, 2012
- Semmy Schilt defeated Daniel Ghita via TKO in R1
- Semmy Schilt defeated Gokhan Saki via “best of three”
- Daniel Ghita KO’d Jamal Ben Saddik in R1
- Semmy Schilt defeated Rico Verhoeven via “best of three”
- Gokhan Saki KO’d Anderson ‘Braddock’ Silva in R1
- Jamal Ben Saddik defeated Remy Bonjasky via “best of three”
- Daniel Ghita defeated Mourad Bouzidi via TKO
- Semmy Schilt KO’d Brice Guidon in R1
- Rico Verhoeven defeated Sergei Kharitonov via “best of three”
- Gokhan Saki KO’d Roaumaru in R1
- Anderson ‘Braddock’ Silva KO’d Igor Jurkovic in R1
- Remy Bonjasky defeated Filip Verlinden via unanimous judges’ decision
- Jamal Ben Saddik defeated Errol Zimmerman via “best of three”
- Mourad Bouzidi TKO’d Peter Aerts
- Daniel Ghita defeated Jhonata Diniz via unanimous decision
- Robin van Roosmalen defeated Yuichiro Nagashima via unanimous judges’ decision
- Mutsuki Ebata defeated Sang Jae Kim via unanimous judges’ decision
- Jason Wilnis defeated Toshio Matsumoto via unanimous judges’ decision
For more UFC and MMA coverage,
visit GRACIEMAG.com’s Choke MMA section
*Photos provided by Glory press release