Following UFC president Dana White saying that the company will likely make a title fight between champion Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz, Johny Hendricks on Thursday claimed he will not compete unless given a title fight, according to his Twitter feed.
“I will sit out if I don’t get a title shot,” Hendricks posted on the social media website.
This tweet, along with a series of other posts and retweets, were part of Hendricks’ attempt to rally fans to let the UFC president know they don’t agree with the company’s decision to move forward with a GSP-Diaz title fight in favor of one with himself and the champion.
“I don’t really know what to say but please [Dana White] give me a shot at [Georges St-Pierre],” Hendricks said in another tweet. “If [you] want a fight I will give him anything he can take.”
It was assumed Hendricks earned a shot at St-Pierre’s title with his win over Martin Kampmann earlier this month at UFC 154, the same card the champion defended his title against interim champion Carlos Condit. At the post-fight press conference, White said that because of his knockout of Kampmann, Hendricks would be the man to face GSP.
“He looked damn good tonight,” White said after UFC 154. “It was impressive, so I would say yes, he is [the No. 1 contender].”
But the UFC boss has changed his tune, as of today.
Contrary to Hendricks, Diaz’s manager and coach, Cesar Gracie, is fond of the idea that his fighter will be the next to fight GSP for the title. Gracie told GRACIEMAG.com he was “happy” Diaz is getting the next nod, and that he feels fans have more power than the “corrupt” judges that decided Condit earned the previous shot at the champ.
White did not immediately map out plans for when and where the GSP-Diaz bout will take place.
For more UFC and MMA coverage,
visit GRACIEMAG.com’s Choke MMA section