Benson Henderson returning to training immediately following armbar loss

Photo by Ed Mulholland/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson will be back sooner than expected.

Late Friday, Henderson’s representative forwarded a statement from the fighter, explaining that he’ll return to training right away after suffering an armbar loss to Anthony Pettis at UFC 164.

“My elbow isn’t going to be an issue,” Henderson said in the statement. “Dr. Shafer said I can resume training immediately, but to take it slow and steady for a couple of weeks and do my rehab work. Of course I am anxious to get going full speed again but I will be smart and patient about it as well.

“I want to thank my hardcore fans for their awesome support, not just in the past week, but throughout my career. I can be better. I will be better.”

Henderson suffered an injured elbow in his submission loss to Pettis at UFC 164 last week in Milwaukee. Pettis locked on the armbar to win the fight and UFC belt in the first round of the main event. The loss was Henderson’s first since losing to Pettis at WEC 53, a match that saw Pettis taking the WEC lightweight title from his opponent.

Pettis was also injured during the fight, suffering a sprained knee that will keep him out of action for seven weeks.

Share this


Leave a Reply


Related tags

Posts