What do you love and hate about Jiu-Jitsu?

Photo: Regis Chen

Ten things you love about Jiu-Jitsu

10) Finishing that guy ten years younger than you and that other one forty-five pounds heavier at the academy.

9) The inner peace from knowing Jiu-Jitsu is always with you, should you need it as a last resort when some unexpected problem arises in the streets.

8) The fact your body had never been in such great shape before.

7) Watching the UFC is a lot more fun now you really understand the ground game.

6) The fact your brain has never worked so well before – at training, work, study…

5) Discovering, with every training sessions, the most evident defects of your own personality. Fighting to correct what you can and better live with what you can’t change.

4) The bosom friends made at the academy.

3) Taking your old friends to train with you and seeing them as stoked as you.

2) Improving your diet, to feel well nourished and train well.

1) Learning at least one valuable lesson per day on GRACIEMAG.com.

Seven things you hate about Jiu-Jitsu

7) Getting submitted time and again by that little pipsqueak at the gym.

6) Sweating to get the stink out of your gi when washing it.

5) That little ache that never goes away.

4) UFC fans who don’t understand Jiu-Jitsu and boo the good fights.

3) Missing training for a silly reason.

2) That swollen ear.

1) The need to exercise patience with your friends who don’t agree that GRACIEMAG is the best magazine in the world, insisting on Esquire, Time, The New Yorker, Surfer’s, etc., etc…

> Now it’s up to readers. Tell us one thing that irritates you and another you love about Jiu-Jitsu, and send us your comments!

19 Responses to “What do you love and hate about Jiu-Jitsu?”

1. lando says:

Like: Seeing yourself and your game evolve in the sport, Getting your game good to where your teammates see it too, getting compliments from them like “man i hate your guard”. thats one of the best compliments i can get.

Hate: Rolling with the “new guy” who doesn’t know how to control himself yet and just goes crazy!! thats an injury waiting to happen.

2. Joshua says:

1. The peace of mind I have when I am on the mat

Hate.
    10. New guys/ Big guys who spaz out and never learn good technique
    9. MMA meatheads that are there only to show how tough they are
    8. Aches and pains from days and mths of trainign w/o rest
    7. Cutting weight for a tournament
    6. People who get tired fast and quit 1/2 way through a roll (atleast let me work some drills if your just gonna sit there)
    5. Guys breathing heavy on your neck when they have your back.
    4. Rolling with someone with bad breath or a stinky gi
    3. Never having the money to pay the expensive entry fee for tourna,emts plus flight to big events
    2. Not being sponsored to train full time and compete full time
    1. Knowing I’ll probably never be an Black Belt World Champion. (sigh)

3. Love: Helio Gracie, Rorion moving from Brazil to my home town (HB) to introduce the U.S. to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, Royce UFC1, my first class in 1995 at Rorion’s on Carson, Rickson, Pedro Sauer belt test SLC 2003 and the fact that anyone can learn the gentle art.

Hate: N/A

4. Jordan Burton, III says:

I love all the “Ten Things” you love about Jiu-Jitsu.

I hate the restrictions on leglocks in the intermediate belts. A purple belt should be able to do leglocks in competition. Regardless if you can’t do them in competition, train them anyway.

5. David says:

I hate high prices for competitons and the politics and is jiu-jitsu a sport or a martial art?

6. greg says:

Like – Never ending progression to better submissions and a more flowing game.

Dislike – Whenever i tell someone i do jiujitsu they think karate, breaking boards, and the crane kick

7. Trog says:

Like – choking people

Dislike – getting choked
    – Paying to fight? -wtf

8. Rich says:

Love BJJ but I hate seeing everyone calling each other “BRO” as though they are from Brazil. I am determined to stop saying it.

9. Julian Blair says:

Like: It doesn’t matter what your size is you can make jiu jitsu work for for you, and defeat someone twice your size and strength. There are no Kata and formal testings. Compared to most other martial arts it is more informal and way cooler. You get to wear cool logos on your gi and the names of the moves are quite catchy/cool (eg. Flying Armbar,and triangle choke).

Hate: That it takes so long to progress from one belt to the next. I think it would draw more people to the martial art if there were more belt colours and it didn’t take so long to progress from one belt to the next. In most martial arts it takes a student 4-5 years to get a black belt.

Note: I don’t mean to offend anybody, it’s just how I feel. I think jiu jitsu is the most effective martial art in the world regardless of your size and is a lot of fun.

10. Demetre says:

What I love about BJJ
    1 – Finally a martial art which offers true self-defense techniques

What I don’t like about BJJ
    1 – Unclean mats and training facilities

I’m a big fan of GracieMAG – please bring back a monthly nutrition (Gracie diet) column with helpful hints and recipes. I find it’s the only thing the magazine is missing – I really enjoyed the two part Gracie diet story.

11. Andre says:

Like: being able to submit guys that outweigh me by 100+ pounds.

dislike: sparring with reckless people that have no consideration for bodily injury.

12. Ricardo says:

Hate: Jiu-Jitsu politics and seeing your instructor favoring people.

13. Brian says:

Like: Setting up and accomplishing personal challenges and goals. Being a positive role model for my daughter.

Dislike: The pathetic, weak, and immature “thug” culture that has infected the arts in some places. “Thugs” being people who’s behavioral skills are about as advanced as a badger with a bowel infection.

14. Faixa-Roxa says:

Love:
    1.) The tight bond of camaraderie between me and my BJJ siblings. When you and your fellow teammate have tried to tap each other a dozen times – reading each other’s every move, – you and he form a tight bond of brotherhood.
    2.) The fact that technical skill is so measurable. Student X can tap student Y, but gets tapped by Student W. The pecking order is so well-defined.
    3.) For every move, there is a counter, and for every counter, there is a counter. No matter what kind of crappy situation you get stuck in, there is theoretically a way to escape. “I attacked with a triangle, he defended, so I switched to the omoplata and tapped him.”
    4.) Training live/learning by doing. Focusing on experience-based moves, and getting combat experience with those moves. “I can execute a triangle choke when he does this, but not when he does this.” – learning from experience. Minimal time spent on hypothetical moves – “If he does this, I ‘would’ kick him in the groin. If he does that, I ‘would’ claw him in the eyes.”
    5.) Hearing your old high school classmates tell you what a badass you are (while they went out and got fat).

Hate:
    1.) Sandbagging. A teacher holds his student back from getting promoted so that student keeps winning at the lower belt divisions. It racks up medals for his school – at the expense of all the other schools. When one teacher does it, all the other teachers do it. In some cases, just to avoid getting embarrassed by other people who are doing it. It’s a way of manipulating the system to gain the competitive edge. The ultimate extent of this trend is that nobody ever gets promoted because everyone keeps getting sandbagged as a white belt. Eventually they will eliminate all the blue, purple, brown, and black belt divisions in tournaments because everyone will be indefinitely sandbagged as a white belt.
    2.) Corneal abrasions (although this has not happened recently) You get smashed by someone and his gi rubs in your open eye. You have to take antibiotics for several days.
    3.) Fingernails getting torn off the fingertips. You work that cross-lapel choke from the mount, feeding the gi with both hands while your opponent is trying to defend his neck. It tears the fingertips off your fingernails.
    4.) (Not every teacher does this) The practice of using significant amounts of class time on conditioning which is not related to BJJ. I do not want to spend 30 minutes of valuable class time doing burpees, wind sprints, leap frogs, bunny hops, or push-ups. I can do all that crap on my own time for free. I would rather spend that valuable class time to roll with that guy I haven’t rolled with in a month. Or to work my weakest guard submission on that white belt who showed up for the first time in 2 weeks.
    5.) People running schools without mandating the gi in any of the classes and calling them “Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu schools”. Hello! True BJJ is with everyone wearing a gi, people! If anyone is training without a gi, then that is not real Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!

15. Darren Makeiff says:

Love:
    The constant challenge of improving different aspects to become better overall.

Hate:
    Cauliflower ears and the difficulty in training as much as I want (at least every day); i.e. usually finding partners available outside class times.

16. Alan Beauregard says:

The only thing i really dislike about Jiu-Jitsu is referee desicion after a big match. I would like to see sudden death at least from the quarter finals on.

17. Luis Gonzalez says:

Thing I love most about jiu-jitsu is the game. Trying to trick your opponent cause you can’t just bully your way through him. Having to use a strategy to capture the hard to reach grip because your opponent knows if you grab it the next time he gets it back is after the completion of a successful sweep. I love the challenge. The thing I hate about jiu-jitsu is I only get two days a week to roll.

18. Evaristo says:

The ability it give me to Love & hate something

19. Aksa says:

Well i go to this Onna Ju-Jitsu Club and i hate it i used to find it good but i totally hate it now wish i could quite but sometimes no one listens to other peoples feelings…